Follow Bon’App’s directions for veggies that are grilled to perfection, either as the main meal attraction or as a healthy complement to meat. If you will be grilling meat as well, start with veggies and arrange them in a circle so that there is still room to add the meat to cook, which should be added last.
Ingredients: Potatoes, onions, bell peppers, eggplant, asparagus, zucchini or squash, tomatoes
-Salt and pepper all veggies prior to grilling. These are the only spices you need to draw out the natural flavor of your veggies.
Be sure to cook vegetables in this order:
· Potatoes: wash, wrap in foil, and place beneath the grill plate around the charcoal. Rotate them 3 times after 10 minutes. If you prefer, you can remove the potatoes prior to starting the meat. The potatoes will stay warm for a long time in the foil.
· Onions: cut in wide slices of about 1/2 inch and insert a toothpick across so that the entire onion stays together when you flip it over. Flip as soon as they start to brown and then move to the edge of the grill so that they will slow cook for up to half an hour.
· Bell peppers: split in half and de-seed. Place face down on the fire for 5 minutes on each side until skin blackens completely.
· Eggplant: slice however you want, but just be sure to make thick slices of at least 1/2 inch. Start these in the middle of the grill and then move to the edge after 3 minutes and grill for 10-15 minutes.
· Asparagus: spear with 2 toothpicks or skewers so that they won’t fall into grill. Place on the edge of the grill for about 10 minutes.
· Zucchini/yellow squash: grill for 5-7 minutes on each side on medium fire.
Remove and enjoy!