Do you have trouble controlling your calorie and fat intake when eating out?
Here are some tips adapted from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for eating out and keeping it healthy:
- If you plan to go out to eat, cut back on calories during other meals for the day
- Look for menu items that are steamed, broiled, baked, or grilled
- Limit fried or sautéed menu items
- Order a low calorie dressing for salads
- Substitute unhealthy sides for healthier options like vegetable sides
- Eat only half your meal and take the other half home
- Eat slowly
Another great way to control your calorie and fat intake while eating out is to use Bon’App. You can use Bon’App ahead of time or while at the restaurant to look up different menu items and see the calories, sugar, salt, and bad fat in each.
Bon’App has restaurant data for the majority of national food chains in the US and extensive coverage of Cambridge, MA restaurants.
Email us or comment to tell us your favorite healthy restaurant dish!